SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manitoba_mum

Deep Mulching in Manitoba

manitoba_mum
10 years ago

I watched the "Back to Eden" movie about the marvels of deep mulching and wonder if anyone in our prairie climate has experience with this kind of mulching? Would it work for us as demonstrated in the movie?

We've experiencing really unusual weather, mostly too much rain at the wrong time or cold/dry when it should be warm. We are definitely going to transition to raised beds. Our experiemnt in the 2013 growing season showed us that the beds drained quickly while the conventional garden flooded and stayed wet. The soil seemed to warm up quicker in the raised beds, as well. We used a light mulch of dried grass clippings which worked beautifully when it was dry.

My chief concern with deep mulching is how it will affect the soil warm up in early spring. In raised beds that shouldn't be a big problem, if we keep with what worked last year. I'm wondering if we will be wasting effort spreading a thick layer of mulch on the gardens that are not raised?

Sources of mulch are: wood chips from living trees (Hydro line cleared with brushing machines - left a beautiful debris field to excavate), composted bedding from goats, chicken manure/sawdust; composting leaves and grass clippings

Anyone with experience to share is greatly appreciated.

Comments (15)