SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
disneynut1977

Easy way to kill lawn for flower bed?

I'm converting my side yard next to my fence into a large bed. I have already done the front of the fence next to the street, but now I'm wondering what's the best way to finish the rest of it? The small raised section by the road, I pulled out the sod by hand, took me almost a month to complete. I now have ALOT left to do and would like to have the bed ready to start putting stuff in next late spring. I started pulling sod along the front border of it and will pull sod 1 foot up along the fence. What to do about the rest? I was thinking putting cheap plastic landscaping fabric down and than in Oct. putting my mulch on top, so it doesn't look so bad and pulling the plastic up late spring. Will that be long enough to kill it off? I'm going to be recieving a check in Oct. that I will be getting my mulch with and the fabric if I don't have ebnough $ to start buying the fabric now. Should I just go with cardboard instead? My hubby wants to do carboard, but I'm afraid it won't be enough to fry the weeds underneath. I will already have a 9'x9' section done that my tomatoes are in now. The grass has been already been killed there.

It's so big and I know pulling sod and breaking up the soil is the best thing, but it's sooo hard. Here's photo's of the section. If you look close enough you can see the border line I made with my shovel so far. Hopefully I can get the border and section by the fence dug up by Sept.

Please ignore the kiddie pool and toys. The 2 stakes mark the path that I'm leaving that leads to the back. The arbor in the back is getting pulled up to where the stakes are and my hubby is building a basic bigger arbor to put in the back.

Melissa

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living