SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
conniemcghee

Making a new bed the EASY way!

conniemcghee
14 years ago

I am totally copying a post I saw this morning in the daylily forum. :) But my mom had also just suggested this to me as a way to prepare our perennial bed we are doing in the fall. It completely avoids digging or tilling any grass. From the time I got the wild hair to do this today until we were finished, total time was an hour and a half. :D Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout!!

Here's where we started. I put the Zebra grass in last fall, and I just added some cannas...but now I had these goofy little mulch circles that were going to make it hard to mow around, and hard to maintain.

I laid out the shape I wanted with a soaker hose, then started putting newspaper down. I used a thickness of eight sheets. Mom uses five. I don't think there's really a magic number, but it does need to be pretty thick. The newspaper, so they tell me, will smother the grass, but allow water through, and eventually break down (the grass beneath it along with it). It's sort of like a modified version of a lasagna garden (to quote the daylily post I saw).

Angus says, "Don't forget to wet the newspaper first!" he he he (Keeps it in place while you work).

We got a section done and mulched as we went. Pretty thick...about three or four inches? I just did it thick enough that I felt it would not move around and reveal paper...

Angus says, "You're doing a great job. I'll just be over here in the shade."

Getting close...

Finished!! It looks awesome!

Comments (9)

Sponsored