SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pezzuti9

This morning's COLD pick

17 years ago

Hi guys,

Well it looks like the fig season is starting to wind down now at least where I live. In the photo below is what I harvested this morning with the temp. at 45 degrees. It won't be long before old jack frost will be paying us a visit. I still have figs on the trees.

I also want to let you know that about two weeks ago the wind blew my Loquat tree over and it fell on one of my fig trees breaking a small branch.

The branch was not completely broken off so I thought now would be a good time to give the air layering process a shot even though I knew it was to late in the season.

I did not have any moss at home so I just took paper toweling and shredded it into long strips then soaked the strips with water. I proceeded to wrap the wet paper around the limb that was broke after I placed a small thin bamboo cane to act as a splint so the branch would remain upright and together.

Seeing that the weather forecast for the whole next week is going to be lousy this morning I thought I would take the aluminum and plastic wrap off to see what if anything had developed in that short period of time. Well I was surprised when I removed the coverinings and then the wet paper toweling the start of what looked like what I could call tiny rootlets. There are about ten of them coming out from the area wrapped with the wet paper about 1/4 inch in length. You made a believer out of me Elder. Next season god willing I will air layer a few branches at the start of the season.

In the photo below there are (COLD)- LSU Gold, Hardy Chicago

and a black Greek fig unnamed I received years ago from a guy from Greece that owns a Greek diner.

Lou

{{gwi:822094}}

Comments (4)