SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avidchamp

Brown Turkey Fig in Oklahoma City

avidchamp
16 years ago

There was a nice article in today's Daily Oklahoman about a fellow in Oklahoma City who has a Brown Turkey fig that he set out about 30 years ago. The photos of the tree showed trunks as big as your leg and a tree well over 8 feet tall. He had a wonderful harvest this year with the figs ripening in July and August. The article mentioned that we had the perfect weather this year with no late spring frosts, lots of rain in the spring and then a dry hot spell later.

I have been working with a Brown Turkey here for about 5 years with little success because it freezes back to the ground every year and the figs just don't ripen before cold weather catches it in the fall. I presently have about 6 that are near ripening and several 100 on the bush that won't make it.

I plan to contact him next week to begin a dialog on how he has been so successful with his. Maybe this will lead to contact with other Oklahoma fig growers.

The article also mentioned those that build little green houses over their trees to get them through the winter. I had considered that but never did, so maybe this year I will give it a try with a light bulb under the cover for the cold nights.

Bob

Comments (6)