SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pudge2b

Last of the fall tasks

Pudge 2b
10 years ago

Generally snow comes before I'm done all my fall tasks but for some odd reason, I'm on schedule (there's a schedule?) this year. We even managed to put new corroplast on the greenhouse so that's looking quite spiffy (inside and out) and it will certainly be enjoyable to work in there next spring.

I usually leave most of the stems and foliage but this year, cut back pretty much everything. Lily and peony stems went to the dump, everything else just got tossed back onto the beds or under the chokecherries. In the spring we have some serious shrub and tree pruning to tackle; not having to clean perennial beds will be welcomed.

But today was the last of the tasks and it was a fairly nice day to get to it - I fluffed & spread 6 bales of straw over the backyard perennial borders. After that, OCD lawn boy came along with his leaf blower and along with the south wind, chased the willow leaves across the lawn to fall on and mix up in the straw. Those 2 big willows aren't yet done shedding their leaves, about half have fallen off so far. Hopefully a good wind will come along knock the rest of them off in the right direction and they'll settle onto the straw. Snow will settle it all in. A good mulch that I'm hoping will keep some of the weeds at bay next year.

I am now ready. Time to start looking at seed catalogues :)

Old man winter, bring it on

Comments (15)