SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trovesoftrilliums

Planning for continuous color

trovesoftrilliums
12 years ago

I'd love to hear people's suggestions on planning for continuous blooms in their gardens. I find I need to plan the succession of blooms better as I end up with a lot of gaps after a group of plants has finished up. This happened with my spring bulbs, foxgloves, annual larkspur and biennial campanula -- these all did great, but when the finished up as the heat hit, I had big gaps in the garden. I filled in with annuals, but for a while it was pretty grim. Now my daylilies and lilies are done and I need things to take over.

SOme things I plan to do next year:

Plant siberian bugloss and forget-me-nots over spring bulbs.

Interplant anemone sylvestris with foxgloves--hopefully the anemone foliage will fill in the gap left by the foxgloves. Also, interplant the foxgloves with woodland plants.

Start up warm weather annuals from seed BEFORE I need them in the garden so I can transplant larger plants instead of waiting for them to germinate after I've taken out the larkspur, campanula & sweet williams.

Interplant more late bloomers such as asters to take over when the early bloomers begin to decline.

Work on better placement making groups of plants with similar bloom time so the focus can shift throughout the season.

Use more shrubs and greenery to carry the garden throughout the season.

Christopher Lloyd has a great book on successive planting, but boy, he sure does allocate a lot of time and effort into achieving a flawless appearance throughout the seasons. No greenhouses or garden work force here, just me and my deck. :D

So what do you all do for color throughout the season?

Comments (7)

Sponsored