SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Distancing: Dwarf and Mini Conifers

Hi folks,

As an avid enthusiast for gardening and a recent addiction to conifers of the dwarf/mini size, I was wondering what most people's opinions were for distancing during planning and planting. Most of the trees I've bought are little of course, probably 2-5 years old and a foot or so wide and tall. Well I know a lot of them, given good conditions may get pretty large, even for a dwarf (Picea Pungens 'Walnut Glen' for example), and of course even some mini's can become 3'x3' mounds in time.

Well my end goal is to have plantings just packed with conifers of all kinds, colors, types and textures, snuggling up with eachother. If I planted them so they had room to reach mature size I think for the next 20 years they'd have huge gaps between them. Obviously I can't plant them shoulder to shoulder right now, as in 3-4 years I'd probably have a problem. Is there a compromise? Will the trees adapt to being crowded?

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

Also, I can attach some pictures if you want. Right now I have most of my conifers probably 5 years from touching eachother and maybe 10 or so before they are crowding eachother.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH