SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Seedling Surprises (photos)

shive
15 years ago

I've only had a few seedlings bloom so far. These are the survivors from the fiasco from two years ago when the feral dog kept digging up my seedling bed. This is their first season of bloom. None of them are what I would consider keepers, but they are helping me learn about hybridizing.

#1 is Strawberry Candy X Decatur Cherry Smash, 4-way branching, 13 buds, dormant. This one's orange color suprised me. I was expecting a pink or red with an eye.

Garden named Punkin Eye

#2 is My Darling Clementine X Exotic Candy, 3-way branching, 12 buds, dormant. My goal was to get a soft yellow with a rose eye in a round, ruffled form. Instead I got a pink with a darker pink halo and slight ruffling. I was surprised by the true pink color since Exotic Candy is peachy. I was also suprised by how tall this dame is - scapes are 29-30 inches tall.

Garden named Long Tall Pinky

#3 Royal Heiress X Great White, 3-way branching with the possibility of 5-way in the future, had 8 buds but dropped 5, evergreeen. I was not expecting this freaky babe. Where did that eye come from? And what about those long, funky sepals? This one did have a humongous fan - gigantic compared with the rest of my seedlings.

Garden named Freaky Babe

I won't even subject you to the one garden named Poop Eye.

Debra in Nashville

Comments (9)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus