SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

Vegetable Garden Status - The Harvest Begins

The temperature is heading down to +3 tonight, so it's time for the harvest to begin.

I just picked all of my tomatoes. The Beefsteaks were awful. Most of them split or were misshapen, and were going rotten as they ripened. The Early Cascades were very good, though. I think grasshoppers have been chewing on tomatoes, because many had little holes in them.

Last weekend i picked and froze the rest of the beans. They were excellent this year.

As mentioned before, i got one - count it! - cucumber, but there's another one on one plant so that and a zucchini that's still producing will get covered tonight. Amazingly enough, we got maybe about 6 zucchini this year! LOL Better than 60, i guess!

Dh has been digging a few of his potatoes at a time, just for meals. We'll need to get the onions out soon, but after tonight, the night temps will be okay for another week, so maybe next weekend.

The deer have managed to overcome their fear of the orange snowfencing and had gone in to harvest the swiss chard for me. Oh, too bad.... I like it fresh, but i'm sure i've told everyone how much i hate to have to can the stuff (which is how Dh likes it).

Carrots and beets are still in the ground and there are a couple of cabbages that i'll pick at some point this week so that i can make some cabbage soup. Our leeks look great but i don't know when to harvest them - pretty sure i read that they can take frost. Kale can as well, so our daughter can pick at her leisure - she doesn't have her own garden, and i'd like to remedy that! LOL

Dh picked several ears of corn this week. It's not coming that well - i guess the month of fall we had this summer didn't help! I forgot about it - will have to go and pick the rest now.

Comments (3)