SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katzedecimal

'Free trees, some conditions apply ' - ARGH!

Katzedecimal
17 years ago

So I come home last night to find a letter from our community's developer, saying they've contracted for two free trees for each lot's front yard (only, not back yard), your choice.. of the list of oh, six tree species offered. This would be fine except that in researching the offered trees, most of them seem to have some issues. So..... Here I am again, seeking the advice of the sages, this time on which tree would be the least offensive. I'm not entirely sure I can refuse to have any trees, though I'm fairly sure I can beg off to only one (my front yard isn't large enough for two trees)

The suspects:

"Schubert/Mayday" - yeah, that's all, real descriptive, huh? I think these are varieties of chokecherry. Googling around says that the Schubert chokecherries tend to sucker.

"Tower Poplar/Swedish Columnar Aspen" - How are these for suckering and invasive root damage? Any other issues?

"Brandon Elm" - Dutch Elm Disease? Any other issues?

"Royalty Crab" - any issues here? I understand that these can reach a spread of 20 ft, which is about the width of my front yard >."Blue/Green Spruce/Pine" - not overly fond of blue spruce but wouldn't object to a pine. Any issues?

Appearance-wise, none of them sound offensive to me, nothing I would mind looking at every day.

Oh, the sixth offering? - Quaking Aspen, immediately struck from consideration with a cry of "NO! NO! A THOUSAND TIMES, NO!!!" I will never ever EVER have one of those on any property of mine ever again! Their roots do nastybad damagethings to sewer lines, buried utilities, house footings and foundation... I know this from personal, expensive, frustrating experience >.Thanks muchly!

-==- Katzedecimal

Comments (14)