SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
effdeevee

'ATREANO' .... Ripe Figs!!!!!!

effdeevee
15 years ago

Dear FF Members:

Yesterday, 7-August, I picked my first, large yellow fig. Sweet, but in my zeal, picked it too soon. A few more days and it would've been sweet-as-sugar. I've got a heavy crop of figs this year, on my smaller "ATREANO" treelets, - which are now about 3 FT. tall, and growing in a 3-gallon pot. Healthy, dark green leaves ... all is well... BUT, .....

..... my larger "ATREANO" trees have also produced a heavy crop of figs, which I hope, will start to ripen over the next few weeks.... BUT, ...

..... this year/season, these trees have plenty of yellowing leaves, inspite of the attentive watering. No diseases, mosaic, bugs, etc. but far too many yellowing leaves for my comfort. Something is not right! Previous postings re: "yellowing leaves" suggest heat-stress, and too warm containers/soil around roots as the cause. I have shaded the containers from direct sun, but still I have yellowing leaves. The leaves are not evenly yellowing, as leaves do in fall weather, but large areas within the leaf itself turns a brilliant golden-yellow as if the leaf was bleached, or, more accurately, sections of the leaf look as if the sun has never reached the yellowing areas. I give the containerized trees a 1/4 turn every day to even out the light, so I know the leaves are never really in deep shade for more than one day. Last year I had none of this "bleached-leaf" nonsense. At this point, I'm hoping that enough leaves stay on the tree to ripen all the figs.

I beginning to suspect that the trees may be root-bound, or feeder roots are growing too close to the hot container walls, but I'll have to wait until next spring to unpot, rootprune, and repot my trees for the '09 growing season.

Just thought I'd let you know what's happening.

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor