SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tcharles26

Pinus Thunbergii 'Shirome Janome'

tcharles26
17 years ago

Thanks for the tips on finding a nursery in my area, but I tired of the search and ordered something. Pinus Thunbergii 'Shirome Janome'. From what I can tell supposed to have lots of variegation and grows fast, like 2 feet a year (which is how I justified buying another small mail order plant). I was hoping someone had one or could give me some more information and planting advice, continuing my trend of asking for advice after I do something.

The species grows pretty well here, probably the best pine for my area according to the local extension people. Should a variegated form perform about the same? Or would it be less sun and heat tolerant?

My area by the way is central Texas Zone 8, close to zone 9 actually. Most people are suprised to learn we get about 30 inches of rainfall annually. (not this year though). Frequently droughty in July and August. This year most of August was over 100 degress farenheit. That's 37.8 in 'real measures' Resin ;)

Soil is generally alkaline, clay. Mine is pretty good. I have maybe 2 feet of good sandy soil on top of pretty dense limestone clay type soil, but not solid limestone rock.

Place I have in mind is pretty much the middle of my front yard close to the street, which gets full sun including some of the hot afternoon sun, but some shade very late in the afternoon from neighbors massive live oaks. Site is at a high point on my lawn so will not stay wet, less than 10 feet from sidewalk.

Any ideas, thoughts, reccomednations? Also, since the plant is small Im sure Ill move about the time it starts to look cool, Am I crazy to think I could dig it up in 3 or 4 years and take it with me? Could be 8 or 9 feet tall by then (provided that it's still alive). Oh, Ill plant it next week. It's still planting time here. Its like 75 degrees and beautiful today.

Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)