SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Shade loving perennial suggestions please.

tiffy_z5_6_can
16 years ago

We have been gardening on our property since we bought it in 2001. In the spring of 2002, the first garden I established was a hosta garden, but the deers finally discovered it this year, and I am going to have to take an about turn. The plan now is to remove all hostas except for the thick leave ones which they don't like. I'm assuming they don't like them as everything has been ravaged except Francis Williams and Christmas Tree Hostas as well as Francis William offsprings which I've grown from seed.

This garden is under White Paper Birches which presents another problem. I planted some Joe Pye Weed in this area only to discover that there's these tiny cater[pillars which 'web' down and if they hit such a plant, will devour it's leaves. They don't affect Hostas or Columbines. They don't affect the leaves of Astilbes, but will cut the stems of their flowers...

This is a garden which, once a large Rock Maple leafs out, receives just a tiny bit of dappled shade from supper until sunset. Beautiful soil set amoung boulders.

So, what do you grow in your shade garden? I will need to replace upwards of 30 Hostas. I was thinking of ferns - deers don't seem to eat them - but then again, I'd like flowers too. Plants don't need to be tall, but I'd like impact in some spots.

I came to this forum because I know I'll get great suggestions and possibly a sense of understanding at my frustration from those who face the same problem. Here's part of what the deers ate in the last two days and part of what I'm about to lose...

{{gwi:381952}}

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus