SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Snow Lady shasta daisies

pippi21
12 years ago

Gosh, when the temps are close to 100 degrees, flower conditions can change in a matter of a couple of days. Today it was 100 plus..earlier this week I noticed my Snow Lady seed pods were starting to turn brown and I did deadhead a few that wasn't quite dried; laid them in an unused birdbath in the sun..2 in. of rainfall and wind came Friday afternoon which was much needed, and drowned those seed heads. This afternoon, DH and I lifted the top off the birdbath..even with two strong people, it is heavy. We dumped the wet seed heads and there was a small bit of potting mix in there, surrounded by the rainfall. Dumped it on the lawn and hit the bowl of the birdbath with jet spray setting to wash it all out and put it back on the base of the bird bath. It is solid concrete and why we ever bought this birdbath years ago, I'll never know. We struggle every time we have to lift that bowl off to clean it.

Getting back to my story and how quick things change in the gardens. This afternoon, I noticed the Snow Lady leaves are brown and I cut the seed pods off and planted the seeds. I'll do more tomorrow. Some I direct sowed, and I'll cut back the plant to the ground and it'll start growing again. In Sept. I should be able to move it elsewhere. Needs to be moved more up in front of the border as it only gets 12-15 in. tall. I'm half tempted to try to dig it up and transplant it now and see what happens. Has anybody had any experience moving daisies when it is so hot?

Comments (5)

Sponsored