SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

Summer weather WOES ... Alberta style!

FrozeBudd_z3/4
18 years ago

Yet another chilly crappy day (can I say that?) in which most of Alberta is struggling to make temperatures in the mid teens, if that! 2004 the summer that was NOT and 2005 the summer that isnÂt! The East has experienced a very warm season, while weÂve just continued to languish on! Southern parts had been blasted with enormous amounts of rain, though in general the amount seen in my immediate area has been rather ideal ... but, we did have our share of very wet spells! IÂve never once had to water any of my yard or garden! The cold and wet is doing the cucumbers in and the tomatoes and peppers are producing rather poorly. The corn is far from maturity and can only hope itÂll make it before frost (or snow!). In warm years IÂve actually harvested the same variety at the end of July! Some late seeded canola crops (I get a kick when some city folks call it granola!) are still in full bloom and will never make maturity. The house has been warm on a mere TWO occasions ... so, definitely NO need for air conditioning! I hate to see the tally for the average daily high for August, my guess is weÂre a good 7 C below normal!

Funny, as I write this, it was announced that in general, Alberta has the most comfortable climate in Canada! YES, we frequently experience very mild sunny and stable winter conditions. Often long stretches of 0 to +5c are experienced in the Edmonton area ... with 8 to 10c not being uncommon and even topping out around 14 or 15 c ... with the southern Alberta experiencing unbelievable soaring highs! Just too bad about our summers! Seems the jet stream then slips down below us and the cold northern flow dominates the season, this has been so true again this summer! Often Whitehorse is basking in balmy temps while we shiver and get soaked!

From severe drought to miserably cold wet summers, whereÂs the happy medium in this province? Yea, yea, IÂm indeed complaining! ... but, my love of gardening and outdoor activities is really suffering here guys! ItÂs not a good thing to be experiencing cold hands and feet in summer! ItÂs getting to the point IÂm seriously considering a move to the WARM and beautiful interior of BC!

Just now watching about the tremendous flooding in European countries ... whatÂs up with the worldÂs weather?

Keep warm guys and enjoy the few nice days when they do arrive ... as you know they sure donÂt stick around for long!

Terry

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting