SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gellfex

When to plant potted cutting in the ground?

gellfex
15 years ago

After much research here I tried rooting some cuttings this spring. I have no idea of the species except I took them from a tree in neighboring Hoboken NJ, a traditionally Italian area where people have been growing figs for at least a century. The "buried flat in a sealed plastic container" has yielded me 2 plants, one in an 11" pot that is 26" high, and one in a 9" pot that is 14". The larger has roots showing in the drain holes.

I am planning on planting the larger in my garden (and giving away the smaller). When should I do this? I thought sooner would be better to allow it to establish deeper roots, but the figs4fun.com page says he moves them to a 5 gal before planting. I'm also afraid I rooted them relatively late in the season, there were already buds breaking when I took them.

So, when should they be planted, and is there any amendment I should make to the soil like moss or bark? The soil here sometimes seems hardly more than rubble dumped in when the yard was regraded ~60 years ago, though a tree I planted a decade ago has done well, as have rasberries next to the planned fig spot, and there's plenty of earthworms around.

Any advice would be appreciated, we're excited to have our own tree! It seems that figs, at least of this species, generally do pretty well here without heroic efforts. Some rare type of frost event will kill them back to the ground, but they recover well. The trees I took my cuttings from got killed back in this manner in spring of 04, as did every fig in the area, but are huge again now.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County