SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjc3_in_nj

My UCDavis cutting disaster

pjc3_in_nj
15 years ago

This was my first year trying to root cuttings from UCDavis and I wanted to share my experience. In the past I have rooted cuttings from my own trees with over 80% success rate.

Last year in the late fall I filled out a request online and submitted it to UCDavis. I did not include shipping info, so I was sure I wouldn't receive cuttings. But to my surprise, I received the following cuttings in Feb:

- 4 cuttings for Flanders

- 4 cuttings for Celeste

- 4 cuttings for Col de Dame

- 1 cutting for Violette De Bordeaux

I initially followed the same process as with previous cuttings - potted them up in plastic cups with 50% perlite and 50% verm. Placed them in my basement under my grow lights and a heat pad.

After 3 weeks, only 1 Flanders had started to root and leaf out. (Forgot to water it for 2 days, and then it died) Nothing else for the rest of the cuttings.

Decided this wasn't working, and decided to try the bag method. Removed remaining cuttings from plastic cups and placed them in bag on top of refridgerator.

After 2 weeks, half the cuttings had mold, so decided this wasn't working. Re-potted remaining cuttings in plastic cups again, but this time placed them on shelf by window, with plastic bag over each cutting. After about 2 weeks, the following cuttings had rooted:

- 2 Flanders

- 2 Col de Dame

- 2 Bordeaux

To continue my unlucky streak, over watered 1 Flanders and it died. During transplanting, ripped roots off the other Flanders and it died. After transplanting the rest, all died except 1 Bordeaux. 1 Col de Dame never leafed out, but had lots of root. It is still the same, so there is hope because the roots haven't rotted yet. So out of 13 cuttings, only 1 survived, and another 1 is still a possibility.

So why did I share this tale of woe? I am not sure cuttings from UCDavis are worth it. Will I try it again next year? Probably, but I will need to come up with a better rooting method. (Again, with previous cutting I had over an 80% success rate!)

Feel free to comment and give any tips that may help me with getting my cuttings to root!

Comments (11)