SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

bright shade plant for in front of a low porch?

aimeekitty
13 years ago

Hey folks!

Do you have any suggestions for what I should plant in front of my porch? I have two climbing roses on the two left pillars (Madame Alfred Carriere).

Most of the plants near the front of the bed (away from the house) are roses, yarrow, nepeta and agapanthus. I'll gradually add to them, but that part is easy for me because it's full sun. I'm stumped at what to put in the shadey area to the back (near the house/porch)

If you see the purple agapanthus, the sun really only reaches to wear those end. The ground from the agapanthus up to the porch itself is mostly shaded most of the day. We get very bright sun here, though, so... it's shaded, but bright shade.

Since the porch isn't raised,... I didn't want anything TOO HIGH to block the porch completely, but it would be nice to have something there in the ground right next to the cement of the porch. Does that make sense? Maybe something that the plant-bush itself is about 3-4 feet high... but it could have wispy taller parts? Like a shadey version of an agapanthus, you know? (because the agapanthus has that tall spire with the ball, but you can see through that out...)

Even a smallish tree might be nice, something that you can see through, or stays short...

I really have no idea what I"m looking for. does anyone have any ideas? I'm very open to suggestions.

I'd prefer something drought-tolerant if possible. And we have heavy clay soil here. Zone 9-10, SW 18. basically hot/dry summers with mild winters. (sometimes a little frost)

{{gwi:306781}}

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County