SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
genecolin

The birds

genecolin
13 years ago

I think I'm in the twilight zone and Alfred Hitchcock is the director. Birds in my Celeste didn't bother me too much for there were many to share. But birds in my LSU Gold (not) is another matter. So to stop them cold I build a hoop frame, the one I pictured here. Well the time has come for the fruit on those two trees to start ripening.

I get out the netting and go to work. It didn't take me long to have them tightly closed in. While sitting at my computer is see birds flying around so I stop to watch. There were at least 6 mockingbirds attacking the Celeste, and that's OK since I pick the last ones for my use and the birds could have the remaining ones.

The ones that concerned me, but I thought I had them whipped, were the two near my LSU Gold (not). One was on the fence next to the securely wrapped trees and the other was one top of the hoop frame. As I continued to watch the one on top did a complete survey of the net, walking across the top and then working his way down all the way to the ground. He inspected every inch of the netting and found no weak spots. Main while the other one starting walking all around the netting pecking at it pulling on it trying to find an entrance. He finally got to one corner that I hadn't tied tight yet because I got run in by the rain and found a small opening. He scooted in like he knew exactly what he was doing. I went out and got him out of the pen and secured the weak spot. All's well, well almost.

A few hours later and I'm again at my computer and movement outside caught my attention. The birds were at it again and then on looking closer I saw one was inside. I went out and starting looking for the gap while the bird flew from one end to the other, bouncing off the netting on each trip. Then on one trip to the opposite end from where I was at he went free. I figured there was a breech in my net, so I examined it closely. After about a dozen trips around that enclosure I could not find any way in or out of it. It was still pinned to the ground all around, all the seams were tight, and the corners were good. So I scratch my head. Did that bird fly straight through that 3/4" mesh? I doubt it. Maybe I'm in the Twilight Zone, I can hear the music.

As I'm typing this post 3 mockingbirds are again attacking the netting. This time it held and they gave up after flying at it, hanging on it, and pecking and pulling on it. I just hope they have been discouraged. Tomorrow I will pick some figs and post pictures. I still would like to know what's the name of this fig.

Sorry to be so long, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

"gene"

Comments (8)