SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manature

Look What The Cold Blew In!

manature
15 years ago

They're baaaaa-aaaack!!! The goldfinches, that is! Saw three at my feeder this morning! First ones of the season for me. Even though they are still in full winter-drab plumage, they brightened up what is a VERY dead garden today. More brown and black than it is green.

This is not a great picture again, because my camera is limited when used at a distance. But there they are, in all their migratory splendor!

Here is a better picture (not mine) of what they look like at this time of year. The black wings with white bars help identify them, along with the short, conical beak for cracking seedes.

And here is what they will look like as they come fully into their breeding plumage. The last 2 years, males at my feeder have been almost completely into this plumage.

The summer tanager has been coming back to feed every morning along with one yellow-rumped (myrtle) warbler. And today, there was even a phoebe perched on my bare crape myrtle.

And if that wasn't enough to make me happy, my white-winged doves have returned, as well. Last year, they weren't around until March, if memory serves me correctly. They usually show up in spring and visit my feeder all summer, though I don't know where they go during fall & winter. They are year-round residents, as best I can tell. But they aren't year-round visitors to my feeder.

Anyway, here is a picture of a white-winged dove next to a mourning dove on my tray feeder. You can clearly see how much larger it is than the mourning dove. They also have a shorter, squared off tail, compared to the mourning dove's long, pointy one. And of course, the white feathers along the entire edge of the folded wing. Easy to tell the difference if you get them in your garden.

Both the mourning doves and the white wings were very disappointed to find the birdbath frozen solid. They kept circling around the rim, pecking at it. I guess I'll have to go out and add some water to it, and hope it stays drinkable. It's darn cold here right now, but I think it is above freezing. For their sake, I hope so.

Any birds in your garden today that aren't normally there?

Marcia

Comments (18)