SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garp1

Tsuga Mertensiana vs Tsuga Canadensis

garp1
17 years ago

I live in SW Michigan. I have about 2 acres that has a pine stand that i believe was planted in the Roosevelt era/project. The trees are about 60 years old. there are also many Norway spruce and an understory deciduos growth of maples. The pines/spruce are over 100 feet. The spruce are nice, the pines are "sticks" with a little growth at the top as they reached for light over the years.

I anticiapte living in this home for the next 30-40 years (God willing). I would like to fill in the understory.

For you experts, would you plany Tsuga Canadensis or Tsuga Mertensiena?

Do i need to fear the Hemlock Wooley Adelgid in the next 30 years (hard to predict i suppose).

Has anyone grown successfully Western Hemlocks in Michigan? Are the summer temperatures to hot?

These trees will be planted in areas where they will in partial shade with dappled sun.

I have 3 Canadien Hemlocks 10-20 feet that are doing well

Or is there another conifer I should consider.

If you recommend Western hemlocks, do you know of any one who carries them in Michigan or mail order. I'm willing to be patient and start with smaller plants so shipping hopefully wouldn't kill me.

i know I can get Canadien hemlocks for $4.00 for 1 gallon and $150.00 for 6-8 foot trees in the spring during the usual spring sales in Western Michigan but the Western Hemlock????...No

Thanks

Comment (1)