SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

A visit to Western Evergreen nursery

A few days ago I took advantage of some very nice Fall weather and drove on down to Western Evergreen nursery. A smaller-offshoot of his parents(and grandparent's?) Christmas tree farm, Jason Hupp has some neat plants to offer to the collector or gardener alike.

Western Evergreen offers intermediate and large growing conifers for the most part as well as some smaller dwarves. A big part of Jason's offerings are liners of various species that can be readily used for grafting or mass planting, at remarkable prices. Though Jason generally doesn't have time for in-person visits, my trip also uncovered a very large number of new and unique cultivars. Drake's Crossing Nursery(Christmast tree farm) has fields and fields of conifers growing for the Christmas tree business and one huge advantage for Jason is this provides a massive amount of plants and irregular seedlings that Jason finds, observes and occasionally introduces. Thuja plicata 'Whipcord', Abies procera 'Delbar's Cascade', and Acer palmatum 'Hupp's Dwarf' are just some of the more well known introductions by the family over the year.

Jason is a collector and plant lover himself, and a tour around his 1/2 acre garden displays a few dozen completely unique and interesting conifer cultivars. A nice blue fluffy white pine(strobus), a very unique small weeping noble fir, wildly variegated Bosnian pines and highly irregular/unusual seedlings of several other species are present. As a collector, this presents something of a 'back-stage' pass and for me, easily justified the 5+ hours of driving. I'll highlight some of the cooler newer plants in the 'Abies procera' gallery I hope to get started in the next few days.

Most of the newer plants Jason has found are still under observation though expect to see some introduced in the near future. The nursery still has some great offerings, and as highlighted in my online nursery review page, the prices are excellent as well. Naturally because it's a shipping process and largely a one-man operation, Jason appreciates larger/bulk orders, but if you could only afford a half dozen trees, Jason may still be able to accomodate you. Jason primarily sells gallons and 'liners', which are one-year plants usually. I've included a few shots to give you an idea what to expect. Whether you need 100 small giant redwood seedlings or a few dozen conifer cultivars, Western Evergreen nursery should be an appealing option.

These are mostly one-gallon offerings. Like Coenosium Gardens and Porterhowse farms, Jason insists on selling older gallon plants, not one-year grafts in gallon pots.

The 'drool' area, Jason's stock plants include some real doozies! I tried to shoplift a few, but he's very organized and his cat prowls the nursery dutifully.

-Will

Comments (37)