SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

This is what I did yesterday

I have quite a few clematis scattered around the garden, this one in particular (Proteus) had really overgrown it's spot, been there for over 20 years. So, yesterday I decided it was time to say goodbye to it.
Armed with a spade I started to dig it out, almost broke the handle, battle plan needed... I got out my stainless steel heavy duty jobie, I dug and pried, took a couple of rests, some liquid refreshment then had another go at it.
Two hours later I finally pried it out after severing most of the roots, was about to toss it and then thought to myself I wonder if I split it up would it survive??? My over curious mind wanted to know sooo, hauled it over to my potting bench and tried to pry it apart, what the h*ll have I got here a chunk of concrete?
So, another rest and some more liquid refreshment I was ready to have another go at it. Out trusty pruning saw, couldn't make a dint, stood there scratching my head for a minute or two. The lightbulb started to flicker what if I hit it with the hose, wash all the soil off so I could see what I was dealing with, by this time I had dug my heels in and I was determined it wasn't going to get the better of me, since it was time for supper I plopped the rootball in a tub of water, went in and made a tasty little salad with cucs from the garden, some shrimp, O.O., a smidge of white wine vinegar and a sprinkling of oregano, this with a potato bun made a quick and easy supper.

************************INTERMISSION************************

Time to tackle my opponent once again. Armed with my trusty little pruning saw I once again attempted to saw through the root mass. Yes.... it was like sawing through concrete but by now I had the bit in my teeth and I was off and running. I kept at until it finally gave in and declared me the winner. I ended up with 3 pieces which are now planted in two gallon pots, all are showing new growth as two weeks before digging I had cut this clemie down and hauled the vine to the landfill. Here's a picture of it in 2006, this year it was three times the size. I only know how to post one pic at a time so two more to follow. Annette

Comments (14)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company