SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caseingersoll222

Arborvitae blight? I'm at a loss...

CaseIngersoll222
10 years ago

Hello, all! New to the forum. I have a question about my Nigra Arbs. We planted them in 2007, and they have been doing quite well until last year. Around July 2012, one started becoming lighter and lighter green as the season progressed (only on the fronds exposed to direct sunlight. The inside remained dark green).

Once winter passed and everything began growing again, it seemed to be doing well. But around Memorial Day, it started becoming lighter in color, eventually becoming yellow; while the interior became brown as if it were shedding, as they do every fall. I ended up cutting it down to prevent the rest of them from being affected.

Unfortunately, it's happening again. I'm convinced it only affects Nigras since it skipped the American Arborvitae beside it and went for the next Nigra down wind.

It's part of a windbreak, and every year I spray them with mite repellent every few months during mowing season. These are the only ones affected, and it doesn't present itself like the Spider Mite infestation I dealt with a few years ago. I'm leaning toward a fungus or blight, but can't find much information about these symptoms. Hopefully it's treatable and I won't need to cut any more down.

Attached is a picture of the current Arb. I have no pictures of the previous one.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting