SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jfacendola

Bald Cypress knees vs lawnmower

11 years ago

So my bald cypress has grown knees. I planted 3, 3 gal size trees across the front of my side yard 4 years ago, and underplanted them with azaleas. I half expected them to not grow any knees, as many sources claimed they only do so in standing water. Now that the trees are bigger and I am wiser, I noticed the first knees coming up while mowing the lawn today. I had a plan for if and when any knees were to start coming up, but I expected them to start popping up close (4 feet?) to the trunk of the trees first. I was going to keep expanding the azalea planting far enough around the trees as knees popped up to cover them. This was assuming that small trees would put up knees close to the trunk, and as they got bigger they would put them up farther away. Well, today I hit my first knee about 12 feet away from the base of one of the trees, so to enact my plan I would have to expand to a 24 foot wide swath of azaleas now. I imagined slowly expanding the azalea patch every couple of years if I had to. I guess my question is, how bad for the tree is it to just keep mowing down this knee? Will it keep growing upward, and will I keep ripping open a wound? Or after topping it a couple of times, will it heal over and stay below mower height? Anybody have any experience to share?

Comment (1)