SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tsugajunkie

A bit of levity RE: Conifer Addiction

A love of conifers is what we all share. How we came to this love varies more than the number of cultivars out there. For me, it was trips in my youth to WisconsinÂs "North Woods" and seeing grand stands (albeit isolated) of Tsuga canadensis that managed to survive the woodsmanÂs ax. Once I bought a home in the city I knew I had to get a piece of the "North Woods" in my yard. Not satisfied with garden variety "evergreens" I began noticing the occasional out of the ordinary plants and started to learn more. Since a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, dork phrases like "That Picea could spruce up my yard", "That Abies is just fir me", and "ThereÂs the strobus IÂve been pining for" crept into my vocabulary. As more and more of my lawn was put under plow, I knew I was hooked. Others may have come to this addiction simply by wanting to add a bit of winter interest and picked a plant up at a big box store. When it looked lonely, they went back for moreÂand moreÂand they were hooked. But whatever the origin of the addiction, this forum serves as a confirmation and acceptance of the affliction in a world where 90% of the population looks at you funny when you use the word "conifer".

As it turns out, there was a song written for us (kinda). My apologies to Neil Young.

The Needle and the Damage Done

I saw you sitting in a Big Box store

I love you baby can I have some more

Ooh, ooh, the damage done.

I hit the nursery and I filled my van

I watched the needle take another man

Gone, gone, the damage done.

I sing the song Âcuz I love Tsuga can

I know that some of you donÂt understand

Sod bust

To keep from running out.

IÂve seen the needle and the damage done

A little part of it in everyone

But every junkie likes a bit more sunÂ

Red Green had two sayings that apply here:

"It (the addiction) may not be smart or correct, but itÂs all part of what makes us who we are."

And

"Hang in there, IÂm pullin for ya. WeÂre all in this together."

tj

Comments (2)