SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonathan_gw

Approximately how long does it take a fig to ripen

jonathan
17 years ago

I am in San Francisco, and in the Sunset District, where we have mild heat during the summer, but a very long growing season which lasts from mid April all the way till the beginning of December. Last week, I noticed a corn kernel sized fig bud swelling on my Conadria fig. Today, it has swelled to 4 times that size. Does anyone know how long in days would take a fig fruit to mature and ripen from the time you first notice the corn kernel sized fig bud in mild summer climates?

Today, I also started to notice about a dozen corn kernel sized fig buds forming on my Improved Brown Turkey. The Improved Brown Turkey has dropped all its breba crop. Is this normal? Do you think the Improved Brown Turkey has a chance of ripening its main crop in San Francisco?

I searched all over the internet, but has yet to find anyones account of their experience with ripening figs in SF. Anyone happen to have experience with ripening figs in San Francisco?

I am growing: Desert King, Osborne Prolific, Excell, Conadria, Laturella(Italian Honey), White Adriatic, Mary Lane Seedless(Jelly), Green Ischia, White Genoa, and Improved Brown Turkey.

I also have a Black Mission fig, but am doubtful that I can get good fruit from it. I had went by someones house in the Mission district where it is a bit hotter than in my area, the Sunset. Their Mission tree was 20 years old and huge, and properly pruned to allow air circulation into the center, but the person told me that they were only able to get about 1 or 2 sweet figs out of the bunch. Sad.

Comment