SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thetman_gw

Did I screw up bigtime?

thetman
13 years ago

As I mentioned earlier on another post- about 2 weeks ago I planted roughly 20 trees- consisting of mostly green giants (6-7ft) and Norway spruce _5-6ft). All had pretty big root balls on them which were caged and bur lapped. when planting I removed everything- it was alot of work, and most went ok- but a few started to break apart when I removed the burlap and metal cage. Two days later we got some pretty good rain and wind and a few did lean over some-not totally, and one green giant and one norway started to separate from the rootball. I straightened them all out and refilled the loose areas with dirt and re mulched and staked them off for now. The nursery said that all the tree were Freshly dug and the cages should have been left on- maybe just snip out part of it but leave them on. Did I just royally screw up? I always thought it was best to remove everything. I'm hoping they won't all die now- especially the ones that broke apart some and leaned over. Any thoughts or experience with this? thanks

thetman

Comments (9)