SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
georgia_jack

Big, big figs

georgia_jack
18 years ago

My fig bush that produces super big figs from the brebas was invaded by a squirrel this year. Before I could see what was happening, he had all but one of the first crop for lunch. The last one, which I picked today, weighed only 4.8 ounces on the postal scale and has a nice closed eye. The winner last year weighed in at 6 ounces. A picture of it is on the forum somewhere. I'll photograph this one and get it on the forum if I can figure out how I did that last year. Cuttings and/or rootings will be available again if anybody is interested in trading. This probably is some variation of the Magnolia. It has many of the same qualities. It has a good taste, but tends to split if prolonged wet weather comes at the wrong time.

Comments (37)

• pennycp
    18 years ago

Hi G-J -

I am interested in some of your cuttings/ rootings - sounds like nice big figs!!!

Penny

• User
    18 years ago

Hi Jack :My cuttings from you(megamagnolia) rooted best every one of them,I even got fruits last summer about 5 of them ;Here is a picture .They did not grow full size but that is ok for a little cuttingIn same year with rooting.So again,Thank you ,JACK!!!

• Related Discussions

Fig Tree Big Suckers

Q

Comments (8)
    You can try as long as get as much of the root system as you can and water it in well in good soil and not just clay. I would pot it up a couple of inches deeper than it was growing and keep the soil as least damp but not wet after the initial watering in. Expect to lose some of the leaves until the roots get established and keep it in the shade at first to minimize stress. I would expect the tree to stop growing until the roots are better established.
    ...See More

Big Fig

Q

Comments (11)
    A local mockingbird here will do this to my figs. He pecks out a bit of each fig when he can. He must know that nobody would eat a partially eaten fig. But he doesn't know me. I will eat them anyway, thwarting his evil plan to corner the fig market. Go ahead and eat that fig. Being damaged, the sugars will concentrate in the fig, making it very sweet. BTW: That first pic is one awesome fig. Hope they taste as nice as they look!
    ...See More

Fig with big lips, not a big eye

Q

Comments (5)
    This happens to all fig cultivars if some physical damage is done to the early fruit bud. Usually the overall fig shape is also deformed... George (NJ).
    ...See More

Fiddle Leaf Fig --Big Box Stores?

Q

Comments (8)
    Lowes carries different verieties of ficus. I've seen Benjamina, Alli and lyrata. Usually during the summer months. Stores vary though so I can't say your local store would ever have some. In my area, one lowes has many ficus trees all summer, while the other store may get 2 a year. Benjamina are usually the most common to be found. They get most of their stuff from Costa Farms, so they should be able to order you anything you'd like. Call or go speak with someone there and have them order you one if they dont stock them.
    ...See More
  • asberryj
    18 years ago

I would really like some cuttings also. I'm new at this, so would appreciate any advice.
    Jane

• adriano
    18 years ago

Jack, put Diva on the list. ;o). Whatever u want.
    Diva out..... fertilizing the mutant figs.

• georgia_jack
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good job, Herman! Glad you're enjoying the "Quarter Pounder." Anybody else who wants a cutting or rooting can remind me this fall and I'll send you one. A trade would be fine, or you could pay postage, or just "pay it forward."

• journey149
    18 years ago

i would be interested in cuttings

• david_fig
    18 years ago

Jack, I would appreciate a cutting of your quarter pounder. I have several varieties that I could trade. Thanks, David

• judijerpen
    18 years ago

My dad a fig "tree" for years when I was growing up in Columbus, OH. My sister buries hers every winter and has figs every summer. I can't even buy a fig plant at the nursery without killing it. Ive killed two and now have a third that I planted in my yard. It started out OK, even had little figs but we went on vacation and all the leaves dropped. Now, its growing back new leaves. What should I do to grow a healthy plant? Is there a fig growing book to buy? Please help!!!

• User
    18 years ago

Ok,Jack i will call it quarter pounder if you like it this way.Also Alma rooted well and i have two plants.Thanks again ,Regards

• bigeasyjock
    18 years ago

Jack I'm in need of a 'quarter pounder' ;o) Actually I have the Magnolia on my must have list. HA!!! I seem to want them all but this is a must have as it is one of the types recommended by the local AG guys. 'Course your cutting will be proudly know as the 'Quarter Pounder' rather than plain ol' Magnolia ;o)

I have several varieties going to swap with ya this fall if you are interested other types.
    Mike

• vickster257
    18 years ago

Hi Jack,

Can you save a rooted cutting for me? Love those figs and would appreciate receiving one or two, but will settle for one! Ha So many other folks ahead of my wish list. Thank you.

Vicki

• getyourleash
    18 years ago

I would like a cutting, please. I'm not sure I have anything to trade though. I'd like to work something out. I want to diversify the figs I have. I have 4, all quite common. Brown turkey, Celeste, Misson, and oops an unknown. Forgot about that. Thanks.

• phalnellie
    18 years ago

I would like a cutting but since I only have 1 brown turkey, I'm not sure you would want a cutting of it.

• ruthie_372
    18 years ago

I would love a cutting,I have not got fig trees but i'll pay or pay it forward,whatever it takes.Thanks

• paul98037
    18 years ago

Tonight, I went out to get my ripe figs from my Desert King which grow good out here in western Washington. THEY WERE ALL GONE - EVERY ONE.

When I took a Fig Class from this very knowledgeble chap with an Italian name he told me about squirrels. He traps them and then throws the trap and squirrel into water long enough for the squirrel and the squirrel lice to drown.

Boy, I thought that was vicious. I don't know were all of my figs went but I am beginning my carrer as a Squirrel killer. I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANY MORE and I was going to take the best over to my son. Oh, Well I got a large bowl of peaches from my peach tree that I am taking over. But I am still MAD AS HELL

• maui4me
    18 years ago

Squirrel is very tasty breaded and fried like chicken! You can make a wonderful milk-base gravy with the drippings after frying them. I'm not joking!

• flowerjunkie2
    18 years ago

Hello,

I would love a few cuttings if poss. for trade or postg.
    its beautiful the 'quarter pounder'
    thanks,
    Sam

• georgia_jack
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Please pardon me for not checking the forum more often. I didn't realize my big figs had stirred up so much excitement. I will be doing some serious pruning this winter. Anyone who wants a cutting of the "Quarter Pounder" should send me their name and mailing address. Sorry, but I don't have any rootings now. I might try to root some next spring. I also have another large fig that was very slow to start producing, but it has a very delicious dark, dark red fruit. I also will be taking hundreds of cuttings from a huge Celeste that has taken over the front yard at my fishing cabin. If somebody would like to have all of these to distribute to members, I'd be glad to ship them in one box.

• Patty_in_Wisc
    18 years ago

That's very generous of you. Get cracking at making those cuttings!
    I would like 1 or 2 also. Best way to do this is to have everyone send you a self addressed stamped padded envelope & if they have a cutting you like - to send that along to you for a trade if U want. When your rootings are done, give us your address so we can mail our envelopes & cuttings to you with our SASE. Thank you
    Patty

• sodbuster
    18 years ago

Maui4me, I was practically raised on fried squirrel and gravy/biscuits. Your reply to this post brought back fond memories for me.

Paul98037, my 79 yr old mom drowns the squirrels she traps also. She hates them for stripping her pecan trees, so she traps them and then drowns them, just as you describe. She grafted the trees herself. At 79 she is as young as she ever was!

• sweetpea15
    18 years ago

Please If you have any left I'd like to have a cutting of your quarter pounder & the dark fig . Thanks !
    You have mail!!

• Patty_in_Wisc
    18 years ago

I hate those 'tree rats' too. I keep a pellet gun loaded just for them. They do nothing but damage things.

• Datdog
    18 years ago

Posted by: Georgia_Jack z7 GA (My Page) on Tue, Jun 21, 05 at 13:20

Anybody else who wants a cutting or rooting can remind me this fall and I'll send you one. A trade would be fine, or you could pay postage, or just "pay it forward."

I love when I read stuff like this... Always puts a smile on my face. Good on you!!!!

• susan_ZN8
    18 years ago

Hello Jack,
    Please, can i have a cutting of your "Quarter Pounder" and the other fig that you'd mentioned "large fig that was very slow to start producing, but it has a very delicious dark, dark red fruit". Thank-you, Susan

• DanaVG
    18 years ago

Hi Jack, I'd love a cutting. I can pay postage. Thanks, Dana

• georgia_jack
    Original Author
    18 years ago

If my harddrive doesn't fail, I'll be reminded to look back at this list in January to send well-hardened cuttings. I'll try to check back with everybody who indicated an interest. If you'll put it on your calendar to remind me in mid-January, that would cinch it. Use the address on this site, or write me at editor@BabySimpleRecipe.com. I have two farily large trees that are getting a bit gangly, so I should have at least 50 cuttings to share. I also will try to root some of the cuttings this spring, but that's always a bit iffy.

• eukofios
    18 years ago

I'm wondering about the identity of my fig as well (posted separately) - this leaf shape and fig look similar - although mine just ripened (climate difference?).

• mountainman0826
    18 years ago

Eukofios: I agree-your fig (I read your post) does appear to be the same variety as Georgia Jack's. Georgia Jack's fig (I have also seen the pictures of the figs and leaves that he posted last year.) appears to be Brunswick (aka Magnolia, Khurtmani, Dalmatian). The brebas of his particular specimen of Brunswick appear to be particularly large. Malcom's Supergiant aka Patrick's Supergiant is probably the same variety (I have a specimen of Malcom's Supergiant that appears identical to Brunswick. Brunswick is an excellent fig (reportedly the best fig in Israel) but not the best for rainy climates as it tends to soak up water, swell and split. Interestingly, the eye on your Brunswick appeared small.

• User
    18 years ago

The figs i am getting this year on Jack's quarter pounder are larger rounder and with a large open eye,so eukofios fig is different in that has a closed eye.

• journey149
    18 years ago

i am interested in cuttings

• btropical256
    18 years ago

im interested in some cuttings

• shorebill
    18 years ago

Hello,
    I have recently relocated and I am starting my gardening new again. I would be very much like a cutting of your giant fig, but I do not have anything to trade at this time, since I left all of my plants at my old address.

Thanks for your offers.
    Bill

• georgia_jack
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry, but I have to end the offer of free cuttings for a while. I now have a couple of dozen requests and Paradise Nursery has requested a large number. Once mature, these will be available from Paradise under the name of "Jack's Quarter Pounder." I guess that's my 15 minutes of fame!

• jessay3
    18 years ago

Good for you Jack. Good luck!

• Elmont
    18 years ago

I would really like some cuttings, will gladly pay for them.

• georgia_jack
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I mailed out a dozen or so packages of Quarter Pounder cuttings last week. I sent them to everybody I could find who had sent me a mailing address. If I skipped anyone, please let me know.

• drqseeker
    18 years ago

Hi, I would love a couple of cuttings if you have any left, either trade or postage, your choice. I have a few figs not on my page, let me know if there is a variety your looking for. Thanks, Doug