SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Another Schubert Chokecherry question!

ostrich
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have not been posting for a couple of weeks as I was on vacation and then life just got busy!!! I hope that everyone is enjoying the summer weather.

I posted a question about my Schubert Chokecherry in my front yard last year (it was leafing out so late that I was wondering if it were dead!) - unfortunately, I have to ask another question about it this year!

I am in the process of re-doing my front yard. The landscaper came round and commented that my Schubert Chokecherry did not look so great. For sure, there are lots of branches without any leaf at all. Overall, the tree did not look bad, but I wished that it was fuller looking. Anyway, he said that perhaps I should have it replaced too, while doing the front landscaping.

I am not sure why there are these bare branches without leaves at all... but if I were to replace the tree, I would like to replace it with something else instead of another Schubert! Now, I do have to check with the developer in my area to make sure that I won't get into trouble for doing so though, as the entire tree has this tree.... (don't get me started on this!)

My questions to you all are:

1. Why would these branches have no leaf at all?

2. If you were to replace it with another smallish tree with purple foliage, what would you recommend, bearing in mind that I am in Chinook country!

Thank you for your help!

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert