SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kim_dirtdigger

Hillside Plantings

kim_dirtdigger
16 years ago

Now that I think we're finished planting this season, thought I'd share the progress we've made on our back hillside this year. Pic 1 was taken October 2006. Pic 2 was taken October 2007.

Our goal is to develop a mixed conifer screen at the top of the hill using mostly species trees, which will eventually work it's way down the hill and around both sides of the hillside. We're trying to create more color/shape/textural interest in the island beds in front of the screen. I plan to work in a few more deciduous trees & shrubs for spring/fall color, some grasses, and perhaps a few perennials that aren't too high maintenance. (I already have enough high maintenance perennial borders around the house.) The plantings are being placed above and below a wide grass path that runs from right to left to accomodate access to an equipment shed to the right of the picture. Some of the trees below the grass path will be incorporated into beds eventually.

It's still a bit disjointed and needs LOTS of tweeking, but we feel like we got off to a good start this year, especially keeping all these new trees watered through the drought. I'm looking forward to having a more interesting view out our back windows this winter.

Thanks to everyone on the Forum for all the inspiration and education. You're a great bunch of folks! I'm sure our hillside would still be a bunch of ugly grass without the inspiration I receive here.

Comments (7)