SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
recarica

Fig fever in Europe

recarica
13 years ago

Hi, I live about 70 miles from Brussels in Belgium.

Many of you will recognize this story. It started with one fig tree. Then I got fig fever

First of all, I hope I donÂt make to many English Language mistakesÂ

I try to grow several kinds of fruits in our garden, apples, pears, plums, almonds, cherryÂs, nuts, currants, grapes but became addicted on growing figs.

It became worse when I met my wife whoÂs parents are Greek. Each year in august we go to her family over there fruit and fig heaven.

I grow figs in pots and have some planted in garden, some in soil, some in pots in soil, some in self-made earth boxes. I like to do some experimentingÂ

In the neighbourhood there are e few bigger fig trees, in a wall-protected garden. With climate heating up more people try to grow them.

Last 20 years temperature didnÂt go below 10° Fahrenheit. Last year they dropped  0° Fahrenheit and most of imported olive or fig trees from the mediteranean area died. I donÂt know precisely which climate zone it is over here, winter protection is certainly necessary. ThatÂs why I grow most my figs in pots which in winter I put in my garden house.

I try to grow figs that are a bit cold hardy + out of cuttings from France, Italy and Greece.

A few pictures

This is our backgarden.

A few of the fig trees, i hope you enjoy Â

Brunswick with brebaÂs

Doree

Del Portogallo

Cerreto

Madeleine de deux saisons

Alicon

Negronne

Brown Turkey & Hardy Chicago (froze down last year)

Galbun in self watering container

Newly planted Sultane with root restriction

Comments (96)