SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

What would you plant here? Need your suggestions!

ostrich
10 years ago

In the southeast corner of my fenced backyard (so the exposure is northwest) I have a Showy Mountain Ash right in the corner, and then to the west of it I have a Dogwood Elegantissima, which is flanked at the front by a dwarf mugo pine and a Gold Coast Juniper. To the west of the Dogwood is a Mountain Pine:

Everything was planted there last year. As you see, there's a lot of winter damage to the mugo pine. I am also not sure about its look there. If I plan to do a hosta garden there underneath the Showy Mountain Ash (when it is larger and provides more shade there), what would you do in place of the mugo pine?

So far, my thoughts are:

1. Replace the dwarf mugo pine with a larger type of mugo pine but I am not sure about this...

2. Replace the dwarf mugo pine with another Gold Coast Juniper - but then this might look a bit too much gold and too symmetrical there?

3. Replace the dwarf mugo pine with a silvery blue, low evergreen, such as a Hughes Juniper, so that there will be contrast in colours, heights and produce a "layered" effect when both evergreens are more mature?

4. Replace it altogether with another deciduous shrub, combine it with some nice ornamental grasses, but I am not sure what yet??? I love the look of Japanese Hakone grass but it is not hardy here, and I don't know what would produce the same kind of look here either.

What are your thoughts? I would really welcome your input here.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals