SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treegemma

Will Ficus Benjamina recover after repotting?

treegemma
10 years ago

Hi,

I was given this 6 ft Ficus Benjamina about 3 years ago having been a slightly neglected office plant previously. It came to me in a much smaller pot (not shown) in which it has stayed since I received it. Each year since I received it, it objected to my heating in winter and dropped most of its leaves, only to fully recover in springtime. This winter has been the first time it hasn't dropped any leaves as I seem to have found a spot for it in the house where the temperature doesn't vary dramatically through the year. Instead, in late Spring I noticed that the pot it was in was starting to shatter along a line as if a big root was pushing outwards, and the leaves of the tallest/thickest part of the tree started to droop and die. I had been expecting regrowth in the Spring this year but it never came, except for a lovely patch at the bottom of the plant which is thriving.

Anyway, I decided it was overdue a repot and so repotted it about 3 days ago in a larger pot, gave it nice new soil and a big long drink. Since then, the leaves show no sign of recovery and the soil no sign of drying out. The water has not been sucked up from the saucer either.

I'm worried that the plant is so traumatised that it's just not recovering. I realise Spring is the recommended time for repotting, but the situation seemed so dire, I thought I'd better get it moved asap rather than wait a year.

So any hope that the plant will recover would be much appreciated, as would pointers about how to better care for it in case you can see any obvious errors on my part.

Thank you for your time!

Comments (8)