SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlfromthegarden

Hail fellow *not* well-met :-(

girlfromthegarden
17 years ago

.. after a morning of storms pummelling our area, I was watching the radar with trepidation from my office, seeing one of those REALLY RED storm cells sitting approximately over my house's neck of the woods in Hamilton County (I work about twenty minutes away). Heard my co-worker call from across the cube partitions, "Hey Sherry, WIBC radio just said there was 1" hail in Noblesville!".

Gulp.

Came home after work, finding streets a green slime with leaf shrapnel and just about flew out of the car when I hit the driveway, to check the yard. Ugh.. newly planted strawberries in their bed looked like an eggbeater chewed them, young shrub seedling had *not one* leaf left on it, but, aaaargh, the figs - the ones outside the porch which were on the north or west side, had leaves like battered rags, some with holes clear through, and the ones near the hostas along the north wall beneath the dining room, had almost no leaves left at all! only the ones inside the porch itself and on the lee side of it, protected by the screening and overhang, were either undamaged or only nominally ripped. Rest of my orchard and berry beds took a severe hit, gooseberries and currants with half their foliage ripped off and scattered, blueberries with branches dangling, peach trees had leaves tumbled amidst the pathetic little young peach fruits, new raspberries flattened, it was a scene of plant carnage that I honestly hadn't ever seen before. Only the pawpaws in their protective tomato cages with netting pinned over them had mostly come through unscathed even while being in the open. Talk about hideous.

So for hail-damaged figs, what's the best follow-up care? do I add any light fertilizer in a day or so, to give them some nutrients to start rebuilding leaves with? move to shaded areas since they've been battered and have less leaves now? recommends for nursing these storm victims back to health would be deeply appreciated.

bummed, but still grateful for what was spared,

Sherry

Comments (5)