SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thistle5_gw

My new figs from Paradise/? about fig area

thistle5
17 years ago

On Saturday, I picked up 2 figs from Paradise Nursery, at Green Springs garden market-Violette & Conadria, both are gorgeous 3 gallon plants that I preordered. I swooped in after my son's soccer game & picked them up, the Conadria has little figs on it.

Last year was my first experience w/ figs, I got 4 figs from Paradise, Celeste, Sandy's Strawberry Verte, & 2 mystery figs. Despite the fact that I waited too long to plant them in the ground (I moved them from their pots late Sept.), they all overwintered & have leafed out. They are on the south side of the house, intermingled with other plants. I'd like some ideas on what to plant in the main fig area, about 18' long, against the house w/ a southern exposure, about 4-5' deep, poor clay soil, w/ some amendments, & a cypress mulch. Right now, 3 of the figs are there, w/ a windmill palm, hypericum, & centranthus. I'm going to put in some Magilla Perilla, don't plan on doing much supplemental watering, any other drought tolerant, sun-loving plants that would coexist well with the figs? I don't want to put my Cavendish banana there, because it should need more water...

Comments (3)