SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

It never ends

miclino
10 years ago

As some have predicted, after getting my first shipment of conifers, I have been making space for more against my better judgement (need to see my first batch survive at least one season). And now reading about deer in another thread, I am even more worried, deer have munched on everything here although I have not seen them hit conifers yet, they have hit the shrubs and even sedums.

I blame this forum!

First planted
Pinus mugo 'Ophir' and Picea pungens 'St. Joseph Broom"
{{gwi:279894}}

Latest conifer corner
Pinus contorta Taylor's sunburst
Abies lasiocarpa glauca compacta
Pinus mugo Carstens
Abies koreana Kohout's icebreaker
Picea omorika Peve Tijn

Yes I know some of these will outgrow the space eventually but it will be years and the perennials are moving in spring to make more space.

New expanded bed with Pinus strobus Hillside wintergold planted in corner (got this on sale). Have no idea what to do beyond this point but want to incorporate small shrubs, perennials and medium/small sized conifers. Already planted Picea pungens St Mary's broom and Thuja orientalis Franky boy (not in picture). Would love to hear suggestions.

Close up of the Pinus

Also these beds along side of house (3ft wide).

Soo, given the limited space, what small/medium sized conifers should make the shortlist. What shrubs/perennials work well with conifers for you.

And what would you plant along the house that would provide some height and interest (aside from usual arborvitae/upright junipers?)

Comments (19)