SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mntnhearted

Green Giant, Thuja, Lost Leaves on Top

mntnhearted
16 years ago

My Green Giant, Thuja, are three year's old. They were about five feet when first put in. I have 14 in a row. The ones in partial shade are doing marvelously. The ones in the southern exposed hot summer sun aren't fending so well. I wasn't watering them enough, mostly out of ignorance and incorrect information from the garden center I purchased them from. I have definitely been watering them more for the last two months, and fertilized and mulched last week. From not watering over the first couple months of summer, the ones with full sun turned a yellow-green and thinned some (maybe 30%). A couple even lost their leaves on top but the branches are still there. A few questions for those that know Thuja:

1) Will the greenery fill back in where they've thinned?

2) Will the greenery grow back on the bare branches atop of the few that lost their leaves at the top parts of the tree?

3) Will I possibly lose the ones that lost their leaves (but not branches) atop, and if so, how long does it take to know?

If there's a high probability of losing a few, perhaps I'll replant those in the late fall. That way, I don't loose out on a year's growth on new trees.

Your suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you!

Danielle

Comments (4)