SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarlettseraph

swc and sfg - first time veggie grower, advice please?

scarlettseraph
14 years ago

Hi all,

I've been on and off these forums for a while, sometimes I go through periods of just lurking though. I've moved 3 times in the last 3 years, but should be in one place for at least a couple of years. I'm in south Sarasota 9b/10a, but I feel as though despite my latitude/longitude its actually fairly mild where I am. I've got a birthday coming up in a few weeks and have asked my parents (my dad must be the handiest, most brilliant man alive, and shouldn't all daughters feel that way about their fathers) to help me put together my first veggie garden.

The first part of the project includes designing some self-watering containers from 5 gallon buckets. I have 10 or so pickle buckets right now, so I'm going to be making 5 SWCs to start. I will be directing questions to the Container forum, but I'm asking here because our climate and seasons for growing things can be so different than other parts of the country. Any advice on what might do well in these?

Part two of the project is going to be a 4x4 Square Foot Garden, again... I'll head over to that forum as well. Any ideas as to what might be successful in this one? I will be making it deeper than the 6 inches so I have room for carrots and such. I will also be adding a trellis at one end for squash/pumpkin/watermelon/cantaloupe etc. I guess right now I'm just trying to decide what to plant and when, since the heat of the summer can wreak havoc on plants. I will be building it with a hoop house setup, so I can cover it with plastic or shade cloth as needed, this should help it to be more versatile.

I'm most interested in things like squash and zucchini, pumpkins, watermelon, cantaloupe, lettuce, carrots, various salad ingredients etc. I'm not as into tomatoes and peppers, maybe a decent cherry tom.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated, I know I'll learn from trial and error... but I'm hoping that I can also draw from those of you with more experience. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer, hope everyone is having a great new year so far!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm