SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brents_garden

Thuja Green Giant Winter Protection??

brents_garden
17 years ago

Hi, This is my first post and I am fairly new to planting trees. I planted 50 little well rooted TGG trees (6" to 10" tall) along the right side of my property from North to South at 7' spacing. They were planted in early September, and I am keeping the ground moist without watering to much because we have had steady rains weekly. My question is this...Do to the fact that the trees are so small, do I need to protect them from snow and wind? If so, what is the best method? We can get enough snow here throughout the winter to completely cover the trees (1 to 2 feet at any given time). I was thinking to place buckets over them when heavy snows hit, and then removing after the storms pass. Or, should I just let them get buried and freeze up? Would they survive that? I have planted them with the top of the root ball at ground level, and have mulched around the trees with shredded wood chips. Also, any other tips or pointers would help with the care of these trees. I believe I am in Zone 6, although some say I am in Zone 5.

Thanks, Brent

Comments (2)