SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19717033

Important for figs in cold climates.!

User
15 years ago

I have noticed something very interesting,about figs,and adaptation for survival,in cold climates.

Fig trees and grape vines(I allready knew this about grapes plant,for a long time),have a misterious extra ,way of surviving in cold climates.

Every year they grow a couple of replacement trunks,and it is what some people call,suckers.

They end up in the Fall as very skiny trunks some less than a quarter inche thick.

Well Here in my Backyard,every tree that died to grownd and had one of this tiny sucker growing,is dead to ground yet the tiny sucker is alive and well.

How can a so fragile trunk ,resist the cold winter wich killed the six foot tree with 2 inch main trunk.is a mistery,to me.

But this situation is true for every fig that had a small replacement trunk at the base.

Conclusion.

In cold climates is very important to live this replacement trunks on,trough the winter,and if the main trunk is alive ,next May,then take it out if you do not like it there.The thinner the replacement trunk,the more cold resistant it is!!!!!!. I have some alive 3/16" Thick!!!!

The same procedure should be respected for grape vines.

Best Regards

Comments (2)