SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bjs496

to tent or not to tent??? and brebas on cuttings

18 years ago

HI All,

Well I potted most of my fig cuttings Tuesday and wound up in ICU on Wednesday. I built a box with a wire bottom to hold the containers and was planning on building a frame to support a plastic sheet to finish off a hot house effect (letting the box breath a bit through the wire mesh bottom). In my absence, the cuttings have done very well. However, I am now concerned if I tent the box, the temperature will be too great. The high temp is suppose to be in the mid 80s and the max humidity during the days for the next week is expected to be in the range of 60-75%. Is this sufficient to keep the tips from drying out? What is the maximum temperature which can be sustained which will support rooting? What I thought as a possible solution was to sprinkle the cuttings with water to keep some moisture on them. Also, to keep the pot moist.

Also, some of the brebas left on the cuttings have started to swell. I remember last year there was much talk regarding whether or not to remove these in an effort not to take energy away from rooting while not harming the cutting. Someone suggested cutting the breba in half and letting the other half off drop off on its own. I had good luck doing this to a bare rooted tree this year, however, I am interested in the particulars for a (as of yet, unrooted) cutting. Should I do it sooner? later? wait till it leafs? roots? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

~james

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County