SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Suggestions for plants that can take a bit of shade...

cziga
12 years ago

Hey everyone,

I need some suggestions :)

I just put in a small flagstone pathway to divide the corner garden (which is mostly sunny, and flowers) from the shadier garden which falls under the shade of a large tree nearby.

I do have a little area in the flower side that gets quite a bit of shade throughout the day. It will get a couple hours of morning sun, and a bit of early evening sun (as the sun clears the tree) but that's about it. It is not enough sun to grow a rose there, but roses do require quite a bit of sun.

I was debating putting my Penstemon "Husker Red" there, as I heard it can take part shade, but I'm wondering if it will lose it's beautiful red foliage colour in shade? Does anyone here grow this plant in part shade? How does it look?

Alternatives might be a poppy, a dianthus (not sure if these will bloom properly in shadier conditions either though), possibly a heuchera if I can't find anything else ...

I'm trying to stay away from 'traditional' shade plants as I have many of them in the shady garden already ... so I'm trying to find something other than Columbines, Astibles, etc.

The colour scheme of this area is more vibrant: lime foliage, dark or red foliage. Some yellows ... a couple darker purples, a few whites, lots of red flowers ... NO PINKS :) It is along a pathway so I don't want anything too tall. Any suggestions for some plants to look at - I'm looking for a couple shorter border plant suggestions and one or two mid-height plants. Nothing that re-seeds too much, it will be next to a rose and I hate reaching underneath roses to weed out unwanted seedlings :)

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!