SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda441

Jacksonville Secret Swap

linda441
17 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Have you gotten all your ideas together for the person you are sending the "secret swap" package to? We are planning to do this Labor Day. I have everyone's address I think so email me if you do not have their address. (HorneL546@aol.com)

We have to plan another get together in the fall when temps are (hopefully) cooler

Corar--I have my Orchid tree seedlings shooting up big time! Just planted them a week ago - so let me know if you would like some

Karla--I emailed you--let me know what might work for you

Happy Gardening!!

Linda

Comments (45)

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Are you doing a separate secret swap for just Jacksonville? Is this connected to the Secret Friend Swap that's already going on for Labor Day?

• linda441
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We had a Meet & Greet/Plant Swap in July and planned this at that time. It is separate from the Secret Friend Swap.
    That sounds like fun too!
    Linda

• Related Discussions

Upcoming Jacksonville. FL Plant Swap

Q

Comments (21)
    jaxtropix... yeah, and I was trying to say I LIKE them - but I didn't do a very good job. Sorry for my poor communication. If you have any PINK epi cuttings, I would love to have one. By the way, my Texas Star Hibiscus seeds have already germinated and are about an inch tall. jaxtropix, I have quite a few plants and tree seedlings. I'm getting ready for the Oakland swap. What are you looking for? I might have it! Carol
    ...See More

Secret Santa Seed Swap *wish lists only * 2020

Q

Comments (41)
    I joined the swap before the deadline but forgot to post my list. Here it is: Gaura: Sparkle White, Whirling Butterflies, Crimson Butterflies, Rosy Jane Salvias: Amistad, Caradonna, Pozo Blue, reptans, penstemonoides, sinaloensis, chaemadroides, darcyi-any salvias that are hardy in zone 8 Scabiosa-perennial (Fama, Butterfly Blue etc) Sedum- Sunsparkler series, Touchdown series, Marina, Mr. Goodbud, Thunderhead, Thundercloud Abutilon megapatmican (hardy) Heliopsis: Burning Hearts or Bleeding Hearts Shasta Daisies: Real Series, yellow/cream colored, or dwarf Bergenia Snapdragons-tall annual snapdragons, or perennial snapdragons Maianthemum (false Solomon's seal) Belamcanda "Hello Yellow" Pardancanda (any) Melampodium paludosum (annual) or leucanthum (perennial) Gladiolus-dalenii (parrot gladiolus) or other small flowered or species glads Dianthus Romance series, any hardy Dianthus Nepeta "Neptune", "Cats Pajamas', 'Little Trudy' or any tidy cultivar Petunias Japanese Iris or other species Irises, Euphorbias (any ornamental) Penstemon pinifolius Geraniums-perennial only Coleus (any) Perennial or annuals that will grow in clayey soil and tolerate heat-for sun or shade
    ...See More

Secret Santa Swap 2022 ?

Q

Comments (5)
    Gary, you should see all the seeds drying all over my house LOL !
    ...See More

Secret Santa Seed Swap- Saying Thank You !

Q

Comments (77)
    I'm baccccccccccccccccccck! Sorry I have taken so long in writing my thank you. Been non-stop crazy here (Vet appointments, Dr appointments, computer died, etc.). Despite all the not so fun things that been going on, your Secret Santa cards helped put a smile on my face. It may seem like a little thing, but to me it's a big thing and I can't thank you enough for thinking of me. Kim (SoLovelyLily), the adorable card with owl & cardinal and the Zinnias seeds. Melinda Hagen, the "oh come all ye faithful" card (that song is now stuck in my head LOL) with Zinnia seeds inside. Iris (ranegrow), the pretty glitter card with Zinnia seeds inside. Linda (roper2008), the super cute card with Penguins decorating the Reindeer and Zinnia seeds. Heidi (Xiangirl), the lovely red barn Christmas card with a few surprises inside...Cosmos, 2 different Gaillardias, and 2 different marigolds (I love surprises). Gary, the Christmas prayer card with Zinnias galore inside. How did you know I like DARK chocolate and to make it even better Cacao? The only kind of chocolate I like. Yummmmmm Thank you again. I can not wait for warmer weather to come so I can plant these seeds with a big fat smile on my face (and eating my dark chocolate). I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas and I hope 2023 will be good to you!
    ...See More
  • ladybarber101
    17 years ago

Linda
    I have been working on gathering things for mine. What do we do if our person hasnt updated their trade/wish list? Kinda leaves us with not alot of info on what they are looking for.. Maybe we should all post some info on te things we like or update our list what do you think...Donna

• linda441
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Donna
    That is a good point. If everyone will post their wish list again (updated) then you can be assured you will get some of the things you might like.
    I will post mine a little later.
    Linda

• elise_w
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    I think that's a great idea! You know I havent even touched my trade lists in a couple years!!! I will get busy and update it this week. Hope you are all keeping cool. I have been staying inside and the weeds keep stairing at me in the window and laughing! Its a jungle out there!!!
    Elise

• linda441
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Elise
    The weeds are the only things thriving in my gardens. I did go buy some Milorganite to fertilize my brugs and sprinkled it around some other plants as well and WHAT a difference! Leaves are greening up and seem to be getting a little growth. I water for 2-3 hrs when I get home in the evening but no time to pull weeds.
    Everyone - email me if you need the wish lists and if you have any ideas for another get together
    Karla!!!! WHERE ARE YOU???!
    Linda

• myfask
    17 years ago

sorry guys it has been a bit crazy here. I wanted to get the school garden ready for the kids and we are about to start the relandscaping of our subdivision entrance. that somehow I ended up being in charge of. ROFL I wounder how that happened.
    I would love to have another get together. I had so much fun hanging out with everyone. Once it gets cooler we can have a gathering at our house, I don't have much shade lets say more like no shade so you probably don't want to do it here now lol .

Elise the brug cutting you gave me is putting out new leaves yay!! I am leaving that one and the one linda gave me in pots I don't want to put them in the garden if we have to move in the next 9 months.
    I am starting the cuttings for the swap. I have a couple neat ideas so it should be fun.
    Karla

• digginindirt
    17 years ago

Hello all,
    I found you! Like you knew I was looking and were hiding... lol. I just joined on, but really would like to be included in whatever may be going on. I don't know thatI have anything exciting to offer, but am willing to offer what I have. Will be honest, probably a little slower at things than those of you who have been at this awhile, but willing to give it a go.
    Jessica

• ladybarber101
    17 years ago

Now Karla how did you end up in charge of all that/ Maybe because it was your design..LOL

Elise my brugs are doing wonderfully and will be going in the ground soon. I wanted to be sure they rooted before I moved them again..

Been working on updating my list on GW for our labor day exchange. well gotta go get 10 more bags of mulch for beds.
    Have a great day all
    Donna

• myfask
    17 years ago

Linda
    when we were at Theresa's she mention that she didnt get a name for the swap now that Jessica has "found us" lol (welcome Jessica Tell us all about yourself) we would be able to get her and theresa in the swap.
    lol donna probably because I am so quiet and never voice my ideas rofl
    Karla
    ps I sent you a email linda :)

• digginindirt
    17 years ago

Thank you Karla.
    I am the typical mom type. Married, 2 teen boys (not counting the one I married), 1 dog, work 40-60 hrs a week. Spend any and all extra time playing with plants, looking at plants, thinking about plants. Can usually get extra house plants (can't survive cold types) agloanemas, spaths, warneckii, pothos out my ears, but personally don't have house space. Mostly live in my front yard as the boys and dog are allowed the back yard. Workswell for me anywayas the front gets varied amounts ofsun and the rear just scorches. Let me know what, where, when, and I'll work everything around to get to know everyone.
    jessica

• myfask
    17 years ago

sounds like you have a busy busy life jessica. I love playing with my plants if gives me time alone from the dogs and dh and the phone lol
    what part of town are you in
    Karla

• ladybarber101
    17 years ago

Jessica
    Welcome to the forum everyone here is realy helpful and I am sure we cn help you get started..
    Karla how is the big project going?
    Donna

• myfask
    17 years ago

well we got the center island cleared during out "meet & weed" on sat. I am suspose to go with the landscaper to pick out the "plant material" this week. they say we should have everything done by the 21st. The sad thing is we are about to spend $7500 to make the entrance look nice but what can we do to get some of the home owners to get their lawns in shape?
    Looks like it is time to make a call to the property management company the HOA has rules sigh
    karla

• corar4gw
    17 years ago

okay, 1 - 2 - 3 - everyone laugh! I looked all over for the slip of paper with my swap friends name and address then sent a frantic plea to Linda, asking if anyone had a list. So, of course, an hour later I found the thing - taped to part of the gift. DUH!!
    I really don't have a wish list unless someone wants to do some mega-weeding or deliver a load of mulch! My yard is small and shady and has been all but ignored the past two years. As much as I'd love to cover it with plants, I have to concentrate on curb appeal as I plan to sell in about a year.
    The orchid trees are a foot tall! How long can they remain in their tiny little starter packs? They're very leggy. Should I pinch out the tops? Could I put several in a large pot and maintain them until I have some ground to plant them in? For sure, I have plenty to swap or give away! Cora

• digginindirt
    17 years ago

I live near regency mall. I just figured out how to list some of the things that I have to share. Mostly part shade items. I do have some things that I could do starts off of, but I haven't really tried doing much of that as none of my family does anything more with plants than let me plant their yard and then they throw water on it if they think I might come by and notice the on going planticide. That's okay though, as we have a sort of understanding about it. I pull out what is over crowded or bugging me (being killed by me anyway) and put it wherever in their yards. It's really kind of sad. They get all thrilled because none of them even grow grass so it looks better no matter what I do, and I get to pretend the plant might actually live. I usually rotate through their area (O.P.-Middleburg) about once a month doing the "grandma dance", so either the plant really is going to hang in there or its already toast. My mother (grandma) and I even have matching poinsettia graveyards where my boys and I put out about 30 points each along her side fence and my rear privacy fence, don't even know how many have survived. We usually get together and laugh about any "remains" still visible, but every now and then something looks better away from me. Then plant envy sets in and I go get another of the same one and commit murder all over again. Some day the plant police is going to put me away for it. Oh well, we all gotta go some way I guess that's as good as any for me. Please do send me some info on the swap and I'll do what I can.
    Thanks, Jessica

• linda441
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jessica,
    I posted a message and it never showed up!! Thank you GW!
    Anyway...welcome to our group and I think it would be great if you and Theresa could do a swap (not secret now tho! lol) If you will email me I will put you in touch with her
    Theresa--let me know if this will work for you. (and if you have any more of the snail vine!)
    Cora--transplant the Orchid trees to individual pots and you can over winter them. Whatever you get in the swao can probaly be potted and take with you when you move!
    Karla-looking forward to next Friday!!
    Linda

• myfask
    17 years ago

Cora
    we are not laughing at you we are laughing with you.
    remember I am the one who vacuums her driveway.
    I am doing the same thing, everything from now on will go in pots until we know if we are moving.

Theresa - yup my fault I did somethign wrong with the cuttings you gave me for linda.

lol Jessica I should try, that I could pawn off the stragglers on my sister who is in OP .
    karla

• corar4gw
    17 years ago

swap wish list update: it just occurred to me that since I have so little room for plants and I'm so into crafts, especially gourds, a great gift for me would be any dried leaf or leaf skeletons, seed pods, a stalk of the curley stems left after a palm drops its berries, the dried sheaths from which giant pothos emerge -- use your imagination. I would be very pleased with any gift of that nature. cora

• ladybarber101
    17 years ago

Ok we have a few people missing from the fun..
    Where is everyone at? Lets try a quick bump and fihure out who all is hiding in the weeds..

• elise_w
    17 years ago

Hello Everyone,
    Jessica - Welcome to the group!

Karla & Donna - Im so glad your brugs are doing well. I think you'll find they are quite hardy. Especially the white. Donna what was the name of the lily I got from you at the swap? I know it's not canna.

Linda - I have never tried the milorganite. Will give it a shot. And I know this makes it not a secret but I need YOUR wish list!!! ;)

And we finally have RAIN!!! Wonderful, beautiful, wet rain! YEAHHHHHH!... Thats what my plants are saying right now ;)

• digginindirt
    17 years ago

Hallelujah on the rain. I'll take it even though it means no meteor peeking tonight. Maybe there will still be some show tomorrow night.
    Elise, Thank you for the welcome, I see from your page that you would like some ornamental sweet potato vine. I have both the dark solid purple as well as the pale tri colored variegated ones. Email me and they are yours. I have been eyeing the charetruse one as well so maybe soon.

• ladybarber101
    17 years ago

Ahh thats more like it..now where is linda? cindea? karla are you hiding again?

Elise the were a soft pastel pink crinium.. My brugs just keep getting more leaves..LOL time to fertilize i suppose.

Jessica i was alitle upset about the meteors too but wow I didnt have to drag the hse around to water by hand so Im happy.....

Cora I too am having some weed problems but then again at least if they are in the yard they are green..LOL

Karla did you by chance run across my glasses? I can find them anywhere and cant remember if I had them with me when we went to the daylily farm or not..Its so sad I have torn everything apart looking for them and have no idea..

Well I better get for now..

• linda441
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am here!! I got some rain last night but not alot. Bubble is still hanging around here--Karla-take it back!
    I was hoping for a few drops today but it looks unlikely.
    WIll have to drag hoses later when it cools a bit. The weeds are taking over here!!!! And my front pond failed on me and I lost all my Koi! The 2 big fancy were 12"+ long were the first to go. Broke my heart! I am draining it and have to redo it over the next few weeks! UGH! If anyone needs water lettuce for their pond I have an abundance of it that needs to go away!
    Elise - check my trade list for some ideas.
    My BIG wish is a Daydreams Brugmansia--but won't get one till the prices drop down ALOT from $175.00 on ebay! lol! I would settle for Peanut Brug but that is about the same price.
    Gotta get out and water and then do dinner.
    Linda

• digginindirt
    17 years ago

I actually had a friend say she was doing rain dances to send rain this way. I don't know if it will help, but the "garage band" across the street actually began playing (banging about) right afterward, and it does actually look like rain again! I guess I should check out ebay for plants. Does that work out well? The dollars don't go far as it is so any expenditure has to be well justified. Meaning basically I'll have to settle for a picture of anything even close to 1/2 that price. As you can tell from my list of items, I'm the one who gets the "I don't know what it is, it looks dead anyway, you can have it cheap" stuff. Funny how attached you become to the one out of a hundred that lives on. Rain just started here yippee.
    Jessica

• myfask
    17 years ago

we got allot of rain and thunder Sat night poor "clue" he was shaking and hiding. Gave him his "valium" but I have a feeling if I don't give it to him before the storm it doesn't work.
    the weather folks said we were suspose to have rain starting sunday afternoon and this time I was ready gave him his valium and of course we got nothing. go figure

Donna I checked and didn't see your glasses. did you call the day lily farm just in case you left them there?
    Karla

• ladybarber101
    17 years ago

Karla I havent called but will today just trying to think of anyplace i was or may have sat them down..Auuggghhh
    My prescription is 4 years old so I cant just go get new glasses I have to do the whole exam..YUCK

Definately got alot of rain here, the bubble is missing over here but is a my moms for sure she is yet to get rain in palm valley.

• corar4gw
    17 years ago

Thought I'd toss this in for your consideration -- so far, we've set a day for opening our gifts, but will we do this on-line at a specific time? (How does one set up a chat room for an hour?) Or do we simply open our gift when we receive it then come to this site on Labor Day? I need input! ;o) cora

• ladybarber101
    17 years ago

Are we opening on labor day? O Im so glad you posted I would have opened it when I got it..LOL
    Im not sure on settig up the chat room. Anyone know?
    Gotta get to the shower just mowed the yard
    ---Push mowers stink by the way---

• digginindirt
    17 years ago

I know this has nothingto do with the secret swap, but as you all are nearest to me, I wanted to let you know that I have come across some rather largespathiphillum "sensation". They are related to the regular peace lilly that most have seen, but have thicker stems, and larger leaves. They are already potted in 14" containers. Just keep in mind that they are wider than 20" across. If you would like one let me know asap, as I have limited room to hold them for any length of time. They do make the white "sail" type flower. They are a high water plant usually used indoors, but can be put outdoors anywhere shaded and winter protected. They will die back if frozen, but will come back (although smaller). You will have to come get. Be advised they can be heavy.
    Let me know. Jessica

• corar4gw
    17 years ago

Lady B, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who uses a push mower. I just couldn't see spending the time, money and effort of buying a power mower for my little piece of yard. I got a sharpening kit for it and sharpen it at least once a year, usually in the spring. Several women in the neighborhood bought them after trying out mine. But I've noticed that they all are paying someone else to "do" their yards these days. I guess some ladies object to sweating.
    For those of you who are into herbs, I just discovered a bi-monthly called The Herb Companion. www.HerbCompanion.com. Think I'll look into it. Will keep you posted. cora

• ladybarber101
    17 years ago

Cora
    I just dont believe in paying someone else..LOL even with 3/4 acre my dh or myself will push mow it all.. I would love to have a riding tractor but I dont have the money so we continue to push along....
    I will shw my dh the herb sight as well hes really into doing a herb garden. Also have a quick question about growing gourds.. I got seeds from you at the swap when should I plant them? I bought some dried gourds and am workng on cleaning a few to paint them any tips?

• corar4gw
    17 years ago

LadyB, so far as I know, you plant the gourd seeds in the spring then jump back! There are a number of sites on growing and using gourds. Like cucumbers or melons, they require a lot of space OR trellis or fence. I've been told that like cukes, they are also heavy feeders. Since there's no way I could grow even one gourd plant in my dinky yard, I've not studied their culture.
    BUT, I can help you with the painting and/or the creating of something from a gourd. One thing you MUST do is wear a mask when working with gourds, especially if you cut into one. It would take too much space here to explain but if you will e-mail me (corar1020@aol.com) I'll be glad to give you some tips and info so you can have real fun with your gourds. cora

• ladybarber101
    17 years ago

Cora will email you tonight after work.
    Thanks
    Donna

• myfask
    17 years ago

OK just to clear up any confusion
    mail your packages so they get there before Labor Day you dont want them stuck at the post office baking :)
    Open your package as soon as you get it just in case there is something that needs to be either planted or gotten out of the heat.
    you can then post the goodies you received we can start a new thread of ""ooo look what I got" lol
    if you have any questions just email linda or myself
    happy packaging !!!
    karla

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    17 years ago

Hi ladies.....Life has been crazy hectic for me lately...sorry to not be around. Anyway, I'm confused. I didn't get a name for the swap because I left Linda's early. Somehow or other, though, someone got my name cuz I received a box today! I don't want to receive but not give. If there is someone I am supposed to send to please let me know. I can't promise that I will get it there by labor day though.
    Theresa

• ladybarber101
    17 years ago

Cora sent you a email abut the gourds.. The herb site is really neat I will defintely be showing the dh this one..

Karla how is your poject comming along?

Well Im off work today so i suppose I will run to lowes to check the sale rack as well as picking up more mulch..Ugghh

Happy Gardening
    Donna

• myfask
    17 years ago

theresa - How are the kids enjoying school
    also check with linda I think she has a name for you

Donna- the center island is done and they are putting in the CM beds next week. then we the homeowners get to spred the mulch OH JOY !!!!

karla

• ladybarber101
    17 years ago

Wow where did the time go? Seems like the weeks are flying by. I was in LOWES again and all their garden decor is on sale and even dollar general has stuff 25% off. Need to have a yard sale so i can go get sme stuff..LOL

Does everyone have their boxes ready or already mailed? I think Im running late but priorty mail is a blessing..

I have been busy with my new monarch cats..LOL Lowes at san pablo had milkweed for $1.00 I grabbed the 2 they had left and my 6 new cats which are now 2 chryalis , 2 big boys and two small cats in a critter keeper with fresh stems twice a day.. I can wait have neer done a release yet so this is a first.

Just wanted to stop in and say hello to all!

Happy Gardening
    Donna

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    17 years ago

Hi everyone....just stopping in to say hi. I am now officially a Clay County Teacher (Phys. Ed of all things!!). It is kind of scary for me so wish me luck. Thanks for asking about the boys Karla. Vic is doing well in Jr. High but Maverick thinks the Kindergarten day is "too long". I think he's right, lol! They have been keeping me so so so busy with work, homework and an endless football practice schedule. Will not be much relief in sight until October when football ends. Good thing the rains are now coming so the garden can take care of itself for a while. I still don't know who I am to send to but I did get a box....????
    Theresa

• myfask
    17 years ago

woo woo theresa congrats !!!!!!! that is so exciting. make sure to tell maverick that I still owe him a pizza "date" as soon as things settle down with you guys.
    theresa send linda a email about the swap
    btw did you get the seeds I sent you ?

ok the rain seems to be missing us we got NOTHING yesterday
    maybe today.
    ok off to run errands
    Karla

• linda441
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Theresa
    Please contact me about the swap! We have had some much needed rain the past 2 days and possibly more today! Yippee! My gardens are overgrown with weeds at this point--I have my work cut out in the coming weeks
    Linda

• corar4gw
    17 years ago

--- received my swap and WOW!! But YOU don't get to know what's in it until Labor Day, hee, hee, hee! ;o) cora

• ladybarber101
    17 years ago

Ok since the boxes are starting to arrive Im going to start a new thread for our sharing ok.. Im so excited I love surprises!
    Donna

• myfask
    17 years ago

my package is going out tomorrow
    sorry it is late but I got tied up
    karla

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus