SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cantdecide_gw

New to daylillies w/a few questions....

14 years ago

Hi! I'm kind of an accidental daylily gardener. Until this spring, I thought they only came in a bright yellowish orange color that seems to be very common around here (Dallas, TX area)...yes you can laugh at me;-) Despite being fairly into gardening, I'd never tried to grow them myself.

Anyway, I happened upon a display of various bulbs at Sam's Club in early spring and much to my surprise at the time, they had a package of pink and purple (my favorite landscape colors!) daylilies. They were inexpensive, and I'd been looking for something to fill in a spot in my front flower bed so on a whim I decided to give them a try.

So now they're growing, but I'm a little concerned that only 3 of the 10 have scapes and I haven't had any blooms yet. The yellow ones down the street (and all over town) have been blooming for at least a couple of weeks. I also noticed that some of the leaves have pale yellowish looking spots.

The ones I have are called Jordan and Catherine Woodbery. I looked them up on daylillies.org (thanks for the link!), and it does say they're medium late and late blooming, but I couldn't find exactly what that means....like late summer or late spring?

I did work some compost in before planting and have watered them with Miracle Grow a couple of times. Our house faces northwest so they get a fair amount of sun throughout the day. Is there anything else I should do to help them get started? I'm getting anxious for some flowers (and looking at all your gorgeous pictures, I think I'm going to want more:-)

One last question...the info on daylilies.org also says that the foliage type is dormant. Are they going to die back in the winter even here? The yellow ones look kind of like monkey grass through the winter so that's what I had expected. Not a huge big deal, but I was kind of hoping they'd hide my roses a bit through the winter.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)