SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valleyrimgirl

mandevillas...need help

valleyrimgirl
17 years ago

I purchased 2 'Pink Velvet' mandevillas on Friday at the Greenspot. They are in 2" x 2" square by 4" deep little pots.

My first question...should I transplant them into a 4 x 4 or 5 x 5 pot now and then in about a month place them into my large pot or should I transplant them now into my large pot?

2nd question...how large of a pot is ideal?

3rd question... should I be cutting off the top growth already to promote side branching? They are about 12" tall and have 6 and 7 sets of leaves already. One long stalk. Should I cut off the top 3 sets, leaving 3 or 4 sets of leaves?

4th question...anyone have any idea whether mandevillas and deer get along fine? I am thinking of planting one of them at the base of the mailbox at the end of the lane. Deer eating the mandevilla would be the only problem I can think of.

I can hardly wait to see their first blooms this spring.

Brenda

Comments (7)

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is a picture of them...

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

I did some searching on them too Brenda, and I haven't found anything that says that they don't like to be transplanted, so I think it may be a space issue for the size of pots to plant them in for now. If you have the room to plant them into their final large pots and store them, then you could do that. But if storage space for large pots is an issue, as it would be for me, then you could just pot them into a slightly larger pot, if they're root bound, and then plant them into larger pots later on.

Cutting them back, from what I've read, should make them get more bushy. And from the one Canadian thread I read, it seems that they may not do extremely well this summer, but will do much better next summer. Providing of course, that they'll over winter well. And on that subject, some people put theirs down in a cool basement, and others kept them growing on inside as a houseplant. Both good options.

I certainly do hope that they do fairly well this summer, because as you know, I did pick up a red one on friday too. Apparently they love the heat, so that's good thing to know here on the prairies too. I hope mine is scented, as I read that not all varieties are. That would be a definite bonus.

Good luck with them, and take lots of pictures and notes. :0)

Laurie

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

I have never had a mandevilla vine but have had a friend that has. They really like humidity and heat. Theirs just grew like crazy in the greenhouse all summer. I've always been tempted to buy one but they are usually over the $30 mark here. I've never seen them in small pots.

Shelley

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

I have been doing a bit of info searching since I have a couple of these little beauties now. On one site they suggested (Like roses) using epsom salt on them in the summer. They actually suggested to scratch the salt into the ground.
    Hmmm. I wonder if they would like the alfalfa tea that I make for my roses.

Shelley

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

Shelley, can you post that link? I haven't found it. Check the greenhouses now for them. They usually raise the price on them, to the $30 mark when the May season starts. They still have fairly small ones for a decent price right now.

Shauna

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

I can't find the place now. But at Hortchat.com there is a reference to it as well. Also lots of other good info on mandevillas. Just look on the right under Horticulture Info.

• perennial_girl
    17 years ago

They're harder to find in smaller pots. Thanks for the link, Sazzyrose. I've never been there before. Someone is sending me a yellow madevilla. I hope it comes today.