SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
antonv_gw

Off topic

antonv
18 years ago

I just purchased 10 grape vines from doubleAvineyards.com(reffered by those great folks at paradise nursery). I didnt see a grape forum here on gardenweb. Im sure there are tons of home wine-making forums and harvesting guides online.I know absoultely nothing about growing grapes(especially here on long island). I am a top rated chef, and now a great deal about wine grapes, and the wine making process, but I dont know how to start from scratch. I just like to drink it. I didnt purchase varieties for wine making. I bought all table grapes. I dont have time for making wine. Not yeat at least(I see a new obsession starting. lol. my figs might be getting jealous!). Can anyone reccomend some good online resources for my needs. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

heres what I ordered(2 of each):

EDELWEISS(white)Produces early-ripening amber fruit similar to t hat of its parent, Ontario, but the vine is much more winter hardy.

VANESSA (red) A red dessert grape of excellent quality. The vine is moderately vigorous and among the hardiest of seedless grapes. Grafting may be desirable on many sites to increase vine size. The flavor is mild and fruity, and berry texture is firm to crisp.

NIAGARA (white) A floral white grape used for juice, wine and fresh consumption. It ranks below Concord in cold hardiness and ripens somewhat earlier. It is grown successfully in many districts throughout New York.

FREDONIA (blue)A blue-black, Concord-type grape with very large berries that ripen about two weeks before Concord. Fredonia is used for both juice production and roadside table grape sales. With careful pruning, its vigor and production may approach that of Concord.

CONCORD (blue) Produces medium sized clusters bearing large blue-black berries. It is a slipskin grape and the pronounced fruity flavor makes a desireable dessert grape.

Comments (8)