SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nelljean

Heat Zones, or, Why Can't I Grow PNW Plants in the same Zone?

Nell Jean
14 years ago

Bluesunflower asked about the effects of sun on her roses and other plants. Here's the best explanation I can find.

Explanation of AHS Plant Heat Zone Map

The Heat Zone Map

Kathy and others in Texas, Annette and Libby in the Pacific Northwest and I are all in zone 8, which means our minimum winter temperatures are similar. Zones only address winter's cold.

As shown by the heat zone map, in summer, the Texans and I experience from 120 to 150 days of temps higher than 86 degrees. Oklahoma, Arkansas and the northern parts of the southeastern states like MS, AL and GA expect 90 to 120 days. Temps above 86 degrees average hardly a week in BC, and then they're not the searing 103 that we're expecting here today.

Another example of known heat effects is the recommendations of the American Rose Society. There are roses that are specifically recommended for the hot and humid south, for good reason. Some that thrive in very cold climates just curl up and die here.

Some plants simply cannot take our humidity. Others just appreciate the least bit of afternoon shade.

This explains why poppies bloom here in April and daffodils start in February, instead of everything blooming at once like in regular states. EOL (end of lecture)

Nell

Comments (8)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012