SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eukofios

My fig tree grafting experiment.

eukofios
15 years ago

This is an experiment in progress, not a final result. I had a Petite negri start, and decided that it would be interesting to use that as a rootstock, to see if this naturally small variety might have a dwarfing effect on the scion. PN is also slow growing, at least for me.

My hope is to have a tree that will be more likely to stay small, and ultimately create a multigraft variety that I can bring into the garage for the winter and produce brebas in the summer, with different varieties of figs for a longer season and novelty. A big motivator was this winter's freeze scare, although that doesn't appear to have been too damaging for most of my trees. PN figs are good, but it would be fun to have several varieties all on one tree.

Mostly, I did this just to see if I can.

For inspiration, I used the method shown in the you-tube video link below. That's not me, but it is a good explanation. Except that I wrapped the graft with a rubber band, covered with petroleum jelly to prevent dessication, then covered with plumber's teflon tape. The reason for these changes is that I had these products at home. This worked for me last year for apple grafts, although only about 20% of my attempts took.

Starting with young Petite negri fig tree and refridgerated scions (local found variety, most likey Brunswick but to avoid mislabeling I designate it as Vancouver).

{{gwi:761681}}

After cutting to match diameters for graft.

{{gwi:761683}}

After cutting for reverse saddle graft. Legal statement: I used single edged razor blade. Be very very careful. Better, using grafting knife. Do as I say, not as I do. I did practice quite a bit, and used a cutting board rather than working completely free hand. The idea is that each cut is a single swipe of the blade, so that they are very clean, not ragged, cuts.

{{gwi:761685}}

Fit together. Petty good, although after trimming, the match was not perfect. I was careful to line up the cambium on at least one side. Next time, I'll start with the scion slightly bigger than the rootstock, so that they match more perfectly in the final graft.

{{gwi:761687}}

Tied with rubber band. For my apples, I used dental floss, but I am concerned about the fact that there is no stretch capacity in the dental floss, so they may girdle the new graft. The rubber bands have more 'give', although they are more difficult to tie.

{{gwi:761688}}

"Painted" with petroleum jelly to avoid dessication. I don't have grafting wax or parafilm, and did not want to incur expenses for this experiment. The petroleum jelly is probably not as good as grafting wax, but maybe is good enough. I also removed the embryonic brebas, thinking that they may draw nutrients or somehow slow growth of the terminal bud.

{{gwi:761689}}

Wrapped in Teflon plumber's tape to protect the new graft. See comments about petroleum jelly. The petroleum jelly did help make the Teflon tape stick nicely. Note that the hand has 5 fingers, all in place without tape or rubber bands.

{{gwi:761690}}

Then I returned them to their location North of my house, which is sheltered and won't get direct, drying sun, for the time being.

I'll try to remember to post whether this is successful or not, and if not successful, come up with thoughts for possible future attempts. Also, since there were 2 stems to graft, I hope that the chances for success double as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: grafting video

Comments (19)